Peace of Mind with a Newborn Baby, Via The Owlet Smart Sock 2...My #1 Registry Item
My sweet Baby Gray was 4 weeks old here...she was so itty bitty...There is nothing more delicious than a newborn...
BED (I designed and had custom made) SIMILAR AND SIMILAR / PILLOWS Z-GALLERIE OLD, SIMILAR AND SIMILAR / BEDDING HOTEL COLLECTION OLD, FOUND ALMOST MATCHING COVERLET, DUVET AND EURO-SHAMS / NIGHTSTAND, SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT / LAMP (FOUND MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION) / FLORAL / ARTWORK / BASSINET (THE BEST) / BENCHES / RUG
MASTER SITTING AREA / CHAISE / COFFEE TABLE / DECOR / RUG / SHELVES...I DESIGNED AND HAD MADE, SIMILAR AND SIMILAR / BOXES / ARTWORK / OIL BURNING FIRE LOG SET (THE BEST...SUCH A GOOD INVENTION, PARTS, AND PARTS) / FIREPLACE SCREEN
I had my first baby, Hartley, two years ago, and the #1 item on my registry, was an alarm that she would wear, notifying us, if it couldn’t track her breathing. As a new mom, my daughter’s wellbeing, while sleeping, was the scariest thing for me, and even as a second-time-around mom…it’s still terrifying. I always wished I had an extra set of eyes to help watch over her. With my first baby, I hadn’t yet heard of Owlet. I had only heard of the kind that clipped onto the diaper, and that’s what we bought. I literally told everyone I knew or had just met, that was pregnant or had a young baby at home, about this gadget…it was my, must have, baby registry item…hands down…until learning of the Owlet.
Of the many things that scared me about welcoming my daughter into this world, the most immediately haunting, was SIDS. While there are no exact known causes, nor exact methods of prevention, what we do know, is that a healthy sleeping environment is imperative. A safe sleep environment is Alone, on baby’s Back, and in their Crib or bassinet with no bumpers, blankets, or pillows…nothing loose around them, including stuffed animals etc. This is what is known as the ABC’s of a safe sleep environment.
My previous monitor, would vibrate, if it didn’t move with baby’s breath after so many seconds. A notification would then go off a few seconds later, if the vibration didn’t startle her, and get her breathing. There would be times, when it would slip to the side of the diaper and sound a false alarm, and I’d fly out of bed...you’ll be surprised how superhero-like you become, if you hear that noise. When my daughter started to roll over, she would create a gap, depending on which side she rolled to, between her body and the alarm, thus sending off more false alarms. While it became frustrating at times, going off multiple times in a night, it was still beyond worth it. There was actually 2 or 3 times where the alarm went off, and when I touched her, she wasn’t moving, and I had to slightly move her side to side, to startle her, and wake her from her deep sleep. One time, she didn’t respond like normal and I had to rapidly move her back and forth, in a slightly more aggressive way, to startle her to breathe …sickening, I tell you. I picked her up, held her, cried, and woke my hubby. It seemed true to what I had read, that she was in such a deep sleep, she wasn’t breathing. It was beyond scary, and I can’t stress enough, in my opinion, on how necessary these systems are. I didn’t care if it went off falsely on a weekly basis…the chance it gave me to get to my baby and wake her, brought me an unimaginable peace of mind.
Now, two years later, I just had my second daughter, Grayson, and I had been hearing a lot about this new device, the Owlet, and their newest release, the Owlet Smart Sock 2. It is the technologically advanced version of my little diaper clip, using pulse oximetry to track heart rate and oxygen, and is designed to notify you if those levels fall outside the preset zones. The Smart Sock 2 has improved Bluetooth range, up to 100 ft between the smart sock and the base, and an improved new sock design, offering a more secure fit. Also, it has an easier, more intuitive sock placement, meaning fewer false notifications due to a more accurate sensor placement.
Let me tell you why I love this product:
1) It’s not a diaper clip, that presses into baby. My Baby Grayson also had to wear the diaper clip, while I was waiting for the Owlet 2, and she would cry or fuss when I had to put it on her…which is every time she had her nappy changed. I don’t believe it bothers them once it’s on, but getting it on isn’t the easiest. The Owlet Smart Sock 2 is actually a little Velcro, open toe sock, that wraps around baby’s foot. My daughter kicks her legs a bit, so it is trying at times, to get the sock placed just right, but she isn’t upset like she was with me trying to get the diaper clip on.
2) I love how the sock grows with baby. It comes with 3 sizes, so as baby grows, you swap them out. I also love the open toe design, so baby’s foot can breathe. This is an upgrade to their first design, which covered all the toes.
3) I love how baby can wear this on either foot. I switch it back and forth, so it doesn’t ever get uncomfortable wearing it on just one foot. My daughter is also in a footed one piece about 95% of the time, and I’ve had no issues with it not fitting inside the footed one piece, or it shifting. I actually have her in a legless onesie here for the first time, just to show the sock in the photos.
4) You can wash the sock. Make sure to remove the sock sensor before washing. Tip: It’s easy to hand wash the socks right in your sink…simple and quick.
5) My daughter can easily continue wearing this long after she starts rolling. I had to take the diaper clip off around 7/8 months, because my sweet Hartley, was non-stop moving, and the alarm was just always going off at that point. I love how baby Gray can wear this longer. In fact, the Owlet can be worn for up to 18 months! Also, I won’t get as many false alarms, which means more sleep for momma (dads seem to not hear anything when they sleep, right…I hear our furry son, Oscar, sigh, and I’m up, like what do you need…ha…it must be a universal momma thing).
6) It Connects to My Cell Phone!!! I mean…ahhhmmmazing!! Once I move my daughter to her crib, I won’t have to turn the monitor volume up full blast again, to hear her diaper monitor go off (which always worried me…what if I didn’t hear it). Now, our cell phones sound a notification if those levels fall outside of range, and we’ll also hear it on the Base Station. The first week, I went downstairs with my girls, and baby Grayson still had her Owlet on, making the sock out of range for a proper reading, so it sent a notification to our phones. My sweet hubby called to see if everything was okay. You can also turn the base off, meaning stop the tracking process, via your cell phone, if you go out of range, like I did. You don’t have to run all the way back upstairs…which is super convenient, especially when you just started snuggling both your precious babies on the couch, with your delicious cup of morning coffee.
7) It is easy to travel with. You have the sock, the circle base (which is only a few inches in diameter), the little cord that connects the Owlet Sock to the base, and the cord that plugs the base into the wall…easy. I never traveled without my first one, and I will never travel without my Owlet Smart Sock 2. We took it with us the other weekend to Palm Springs actually…so convenient!
While I’m eternally grateful for the clip on product I had with my first, and if budget dictates, at least get that…but honestly, I’d just save up, or ask for this as a combo gift from multiple people for your baby shower. Plus, I just found out Owlet has financing options, some with no interest…so that is a good option to look into.
Let me tell you why I love the Owlet Smart Sock 2 better than my diaper clip:
1) Rechargeable…The clip on takes a $3-4 battery, that sometimes only lasted 4/5 days…why I have no idea, did I leave it on by accident…uggh it was so annoying! Even those first few weeks, with Baby Gray, we went through 7 batteries…so bizarre and expensive. However, sometimes the battery would last weeks…so I don’t know what was happening there, but it was so frustrating. You definitely have to charge the Owlet sock on a daily basis. You can’t wear it all day for a few days straight. I take it off during the day when we are most active together, and put it on when I’m putting her down for a longer nap, and always in the evening.
2) Less False Alarms…By having baby wear it on his/her foot, it doesn’t come loose the way the clip does, off the diaper. Therefore, you have way less false alarms. I haven’t had any major ones yet, just the few times we were out of range downstairs, and one day she wore it too much and the battery was low, so it sounded that notification.
3) Connects to our Cell Phones…Seriously, this is awesome! I don’t have to worry about not hearing it when she moves to her bedroom, and if we ever get around to hiring help, it will give me a little more peace of mind knowing it will ring my phone, and I can call home to make sure all is ok. My diaper clip had no cell phone software.
4) It has to be more comfortable…baby doesn’t have anything pressing against her tummy, especially when she rolls, or when you forget to take it off, and are nursing or giving a bottle in the middle of the night, nothing is digging into her.
5) Doesn’t have to come off and back on, with every nappy change…hallelujah! That also means you have less middle of the night moments, where you just buttoned up and swaddled baby, she is beautifully sleeping, and then realize you forgot to put the alarm back on. Having to un-swaddle and undress her lower half, and then reattach the diaper clip, almost always wakes baby. Ughh the worst!!
I’m so grateful to have been able to collaborate with Owlet…I wanted to be able to share this info with all of my mommas to be. All of the opinions are my own…I’m not a professional doctor/advisor in any way, I’m just a 2nd time momma, that spent many a day and night, for years, praying and praying for these two babies. I want nothing more, like every momma, just to keep them safe, healthy, and happy.
The Owlet Smart Sock 2 is $299.99, and available for purchase at OwletCare.com
Much love to all the mommas out there…and you will love this product!